Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Week 5 -- Good Week... Not So Good Week


Start Weight: 226.0
Week 5 Weight: 213.6
Weekly Loss/Gain (+): 1.6
Program-to-Date (PTD) Loss: 12.4
% Weekly Loss: 0.74
% PTD Loss: 5.49
Program Goal Weight Loss: 36.0
Program Goal % Loss: 15.9

Well, what a week... a series of ups and downs. Another 1.6 lbs came off for a total of 12.4, that is a miracle in and of itself. Numbers say I'm about a third of the way to my goal with about 75% of the time left, I can't predict what this week will bring, just trying to be active and cut down on the volume intake, so far so good. We got Russell off to school successfully, had a good trip... except for on the way back, when Sara lost it and puked up about 10 miles from home. We've all been a little queasy since then, but I have to credit that for my good numbers for the week. I haven't eaten anything since Sunday night, everything looks like a plate from Chuck-O-Rama, mixed in with odors from the back seat. The highlights and lowlights of the week:

RESULTS: We left last Wednesday, Sara made it to Elko without having to stop. Gail made it to about Battle Mountain, but we kept on going. So, with just the one stop between here and Provo, it cut down my chances for any road food. I did consume a king size box of Junior Mints on the way, but had fruits and yogurts otherwise and wasn't the worse off for it. Have stayed off of sodas for two weeks now without any ill effects. Gail and Stacie, and Michael too have given up sugar for about a month now... I'm not ready for that. We got into town and were hungry and had a craving for Skippers... a sentimental favorite for me, that's where here in Sacramento, I first knew I loved Gail, over a bowl of clam chowder and fish n' chips. We move back to Sacto, no Skippers, but we knew there was one in Orem... well we thought so... the sign said they were even hiring....

but, we get ready to go in and....... here's what we get...

I don't even remember what we settled for that night... bad mojo all around.. We stayed with Aunt Lois, I brought my double-wide air mattress and it worked fine. She was having a doc appt on Thurs so no chance at going out to eat. Unbeknown to us, she was supposed to have surgery on her shoulder on Friday, and would be out of commission for the rest of our stay... we thought that would cut way down on our going out to eat... but after her appt on Thursday, she said her surgery was postponed, so the buffet (chuck) wagon was on. We hit IHOP, Village Inn, Sizzler, and the Chuck-O-Rama... I really couldn't take much more of it, but after a series of icy stares from you-know-who... I just grinned and bared it.

On the exercise front, I didn't do much of any.... we walked all over campus on Thursday... on Friday morning I got up to go walking... and I broke out in a nice jog, don't know how long I went, but I explored a few neighborhoods. I get up Saturday morning and my legs just buckle... sore as sore can be... I haven't done a run like that in years, must not use the same muscles as the ol' elliptical trainer. I'm just now getting back to normal. So, no food and no exercise for about three days straight now.... great way to lose a pound and a half.

ON THE BIKE: Nothing at all, except there's been a little movement from Gail... she says I need a bike soon, that my blog is somewhat flat without the bike trail episodes. And, Steve from work is now back at work with his bike... starting to talk about it again. Plus, I started twitching when I saw the bike rack outside of Russell's dorm, I almost took a joy ride.


ODDS N' ENDS: The Arizona/BYU football game was sold out, 65,000+, scalped seats were pretty steep, so we watched the game at Lois' house... what was very exciting was the women's volleyball match.. #10 Wisconsin vs. #15 BYU... we beat them in the 5th game 15-13.. was very nice.... $429 was the tab for Russell's books for four basic subjects... he has four books just for American History... I about pitched a fit right there in the bookstore.. one of his books is titled, "When Jesus Came, the Corn Mothers Went Away: Marriage, Sexuality, and Power in New Mexico, 1500-1846" What???? All that in a 200 page book, for only $39.99...... How 'bout Washington, Adams, Jefferson??.... random school pictures... each of my brothers and sister has a son at BYU... left to right Joel (Tim), Scott (Randy), Andrew (Diane), and Russell (me).

Almost done... just one FAQ this week:

Q. Now that you have a son at BYU, will you quit slammin' church schools.... just because you didn't want to go there (or was it couldn't go there?) as a young adult?

A. Yes.... I'm done with the "too many Mormons" sentiment.. you'll hear it no more from me, I think he'll get a great education...notwithstanding the Corn Mothers in New Mexico in 1500.

One more....

Q. I've been dying to know... what is the AM/PM special for the month?

A. Two cheeseburgers for $1.29.... just doesn't call to me right now... hope it doesn't... I was rooting for the bar-b-que sandwich for $.99.... maybe next month.

'Til next week..... Brian

3 comments:

Kaci said...

Really, it is not that I have anything better to do on Wednesday nights than comment on your blog. Maybe because I have a million things to do, I am procrastinating. Anyway, I thought it was too funny that the blog was even a topic of conversation at the YW activity tonight! Even the entire stake presidency coming to visit our activity did not create such a buzz as what would be on the blog tonight. I thought I would also take the time to let you know that while making the ward video, I have included an actual picture of JaBen at their best. Unfortunatley, I cannot release this picture for your website due to loyalties. However, since JaBen decided to take a three hour tour on their bikes last Saturday morning, they must be punished. Although I do not have the authority to punish both halves, as one unit, entity, whatever they are--both are equally affected. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Well, in Brian's first blog he asked, as an after though, for advise on anything - even marital. After reading this blog I realize he really needs it. So, someone please help him!!

Brian Sprague said...

Kaci O... thanks for the 100-calorie packs.. trouble is I ate all of them on the way home from church today... gotta be a better way.... the ward bar-b-q should be an eye opener... and Wendy has some stories to tell about her YW activities... stay tuned.. been off of sodas though for almost three weeks...