Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Week 0 - The Beginning





You are all now invited to be a FOBS: Friend of Brian Sprague.

I've started this blog for a number of reasons... whether you all check in with me or not, it's a way for me to get in shape, a type of a getting out there in the open what I need to do.

So, I'm going to chronicle my efforts here, and y'all are welcome to give encouragement, constructive criticism, etc. I'm going to have some fun with it.

Facts: (1) Just turned 48
(2) Have a brand new baby girl, Sara, almost 9 months old
(3) Scale this morning read 226.0 lbs
(4) That's way too many

Every Wednesday night between now and January 2, 2008, I'll update this blog with my progress or the lack thereof. I haven't done this before, but I'll try to put up some pictures to make it more interesting.

My goal is to be at 190 lbs or less by January 2, 2008. Any help any of you can give me along the way is appreciated. When I've reached that goal, the FOBS who has given me the most helpful tips, encouragement, etc., along the way will win a most special prize. It will be good.

So, just a quick background. I've been riding my bike to work (22 miles RT) for the past several weeks and have been feeling pretty good about it. Jake Toolson has had some great bike trail stories (I might post those here), J-Dawg and Ben-G have helped me up cardiac hill, my brother Tim has been out on the bike trail, Steve and Hiroshi at work are bikers who have talked me into doing it year-round. I've seen my good friend Arthur Baudendistel, a physical therapist here in Sacramento, on the bike trail too.

So, my flawed thinking went like this:

If I ride 22 miles a day, 5 days a week, I can eat pretty much anything I want and lose or at least maintain my weight.

Fact: I've put on about 12 lbs in 6 weeks. How? Got me thinking... could it be the bags of M&Ms in my desk at work, the bagels with cream cheese in the AM? 3X weekly stops at In-N-Out? Someone tell me.....

Another problem: I get up to ride this morning to work with J-Dawg, and my bike is gone, stolen, nowhere to be seen. It was a used bike, yes, but it was my wheels... now I've got nothing. How do I 'splain to my wife that I now need a commuter bike at around $900, which is very reasonable.... when she's been gently reminding me to put my bile away at night? Someone help me with that little bit of domestic tranquility.... Hiroshi at work has offered to let me use one of his until the time is right to bring up the $900 (low end) bike at the dinner table. So, I had to work out on the elliptical trainer at the office gym today, probably for the next several days.

So, there you have it.... I'll update each Wednesday night... if I can write my missionary son Steven each week, then I can do this too.

Again, advice on

1. Weight loss
2. Bike choice
3. Catching a bike thief
4. Marital relations
5. Anything else

It's all appreciated.... and it will be worth your while. Whatever it is... I can take it.

Brian

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! What a commitment. I guess I better get moving too. And just for the record, I was really gently reminding you to put your bike away, since I know what it feels like to have your bike stolen. We'll save that tale for another time though.

J. Morgan said...

B-SPRAGUE!!!!

It was with saddened heart that I rode by myself this morning, mourning the loss of your bike and your company. You are really reaching out the the younger crowd with this blog, though. I'm really impressed! Some people your age go through a mid-life crisis and buy an expensive car (or two) or something like that...not you, though, you break out in style - sweatin' with the oldies, sheddin' the pounds, and lovin' life!!! You're my new hero!

You've set the bar high once again. I look forward to the chronicles and hope to garner a few nuggets of wisdom in the meantime.

Rock on - B-Sprague!!!

Scott said...

Uncle Brian -
Maran, Hannah, and I are sorry to hear the loss of your bike. The question that I have is, Don't you work for (I will not write where you really work for fear of someone who doesn't know reading this)? Isn't your house being taped by satellite surveillance? Go find that fetch face and get your bike back. Good luck with everything, and we will see you later this month here in Utah, even though I am in Sactown as I write this.
Scott

Unknown said...

To everyone else but Brian - doesn't it seem a little fishy (and on the very day that he decided to go full guns with his plan) that his bike is "stolen" when all he's been talking about the last couple of months is the bike he really wants? Was this just a ploy to get sympathy from many people and pressure me into coughing up for the better bike? And then asking for marital tips on your blog......

Randy S. said...

Reading your facts (1-4): What is way too many? The 48 yrs? The brand new baby girl? The 226 lbs? Anyway, I agree with Gail's wag the dog theory.

Brian Sprague said...

Hey Ran.... no the 226 lbs is the way too much... Scott.. hope you had fun at the Giants game... I'm thinking of ways to catch the thief.. set some kind of trap or somethin'... got ideas let me know. Brian

Arthur said...

Man, I just wrote a long, funny response to all of this, but I guess I have to make the account first, then write the letter. I'm too frustrated to write the whole thing again, even if I could.
Good luck with your made public quest. (I hope my first comments show up somewhere here)
-Arthur

Unknown said...

Just a little update....Last night Wendy took the baby for a walk around the block and found Brian's helmet in someone's yard. So does that change my theory at all? Does it imply that a neighborhood kid took the bike and accidently dropped the helmet? Is this alleged kid in cahoots with Brian? More questions than answers here.......

YFS Diane said...

Hey Brian!
By the way, the YFS stands for "YOUR FAVORITE SISTER". I am excited for the journey you are embarking upon! My regrets about the bike, but an even bigger OUCH is the price of a new bike. Yikes, you mean you can't make it all the way to Folsom just on a regular bike you can get at WalMart? (shows my supreme ignorance on the matter, I know)
Well you are an inspiration to me, and I will certainly be hoping that some of the helpful hints will rub off on me too! Good luck and may the weight loss force be with you!

YFS Diane said...

Brian, hope you don't mind, if I give a message to Arthur while I can actually communicate with him! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARTHUR!!!!!!
Wow, you guys are getting old. he he, just kidding. I'm just a few years behind ya--- so I can't talk. Well, you may be out celebrating, so you might not see this today, but I am hoping you have a great birthday. diane

Unknown said...

you have my permission to post my story wherever whenever. :)

Well ironically, I too have been going through a workout craze this past month. While I don't ride to work daily (ever.....see story) I do use the gym at my work right after I clock out. I must say, the elyptical trainer is probably one of the best cardio machine's I have ever used.

Personally, I don't goto the gym and say, "I need to burn 1000 calories today.." Instead I say, "I need to do 30 minutes cardio at the very least." This helps me not set myself up for failure. I used to run a mile on the treadmill as fast as I could just so I could get it over with. But i have since converted to the elyptical machine and I think it's the best thing ever.

Anyway, I'll be sure to check regularly and I think you've moticated me to perhaps put my weight and gains/losses each week on my blg (http://www.lindseyandjake.com) . Mind if I had a link to your site?

Unknown said...

thanks for all the comments... ...besides folks thinking (and saying) I'm too old to have a blog..."reaching out to the younger crowd", "you... you have a blog?" "you can use the computer well enough?", etc... I'll have the first week's updates this Wednesday night... I'm here to stay. To Diane, no the Wal-mart special bikes won't cut it.. might ask my bike afficionados at work to explain to weigh in on that. Jake.. I'll see if I can post your story and go ahead and link all you want.. are you asking me to do something on my end?

YFS Diane said...

Brian,
Just a quote from one of my favorite guys, Zig Zigler:
"Motivation gets you going and habit gets you there.
Make motivation a habit and you will get there more quickly and have more fun on the trip."

Brian Sprague said...

...that comment from Gail today was really from me.. I must've been under Gail's name when I responded.. someday I'll get it... time for a quick note to Steven.

YFS Diane said...

Hey Brian!
Congrats on the big weight loss so far, that's really great. Yes, it sounds like an infomercial, but the lunch food fare, would scare me away from your tactics!
love, diane

Arthur said...

Hi Brian,
I hope I get my short comments in this time. I'm not very good at this technical stuff.
I'm enjoying this weekly stuff. Sorry, but I sit here stuffed from eating too much Japenees food at Mikuni's tonight for Jordan's girlfriends birthday party. I wish to have told you that you inspired me to loose about 5 pounds myself these past 3 weeks. But, unfortuneately I can't make any of those good claims.
Your (and Randy's)quick wit shows in these blogs. It brings back our youthful day memories. I'm sure Stephen is fine in Mexico and luckily he'll be there to help the others.
Good luck with your goals and I'll continue to enjoy reading them weekly.
Bella Vista's new Athletic Director called me today, so we had fun talking about your sports programs. Remember we still want you to come out and sit on Folsom's side for our rematch. Hey, we could bet dinner on the game again!!
See ya,
Arthur